Collapse All Expand All
 Are IGs policy makers?
No, if a policy is flawed, you can submit proposed changes on a DA Form 2028.

 Can IGs order a resolution?
No, they can only recommend. Only the Commander can order a resolution.

 Who may file Army IG complaints?
Any Army military or civilian member may file an IG complaint.

• However, many Department of the Army (DA) civilian complaints (e.g., discrimination, sexual harassment, and conditions of employment) must be addressed by agencies other than the IG. 

• Anyone, including civilians with no Army affiliation, may file Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) disclosures. Depending on the circumstances, the IG may also accept complaints from dependents or relatives of Service Members in addition to Retirees and their dependents.

• It is always best for the actual "victim" or person who witnessed the alleged wrongdoing to file the complaint.

If you have a concern and are unsure if you should file a complaint, contact your local IG office for guidance.

 To whom do IGs provide assistance?
The IG provides assistance to Commanders, Soldiers, DoD Civilians, Family Members, and Retirees.

 Do I have to make an appointment?
No, walk-ins are welcome.

 What are your hours of operation?
Most offices are open M-F 0800-1600 hours, check with your local office for their specific hours.

 Where should complaints be filed?
Complaints may be filed with:
• A Supervisor or Commander in your Chain of Command.
• An IG or other appropriate inspector, or within any established grievance channel.
• Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) complaints may be reported to the Army Audit Agency (AAA), Army Office of Special Investigations (AOSI), Military Police, or other proper authorities.

 What type of complaints are appropriate for the IG System?
Pay: TDY, Bonuses

Personnel Actions: Promotions, Discharges, Retirements, Orders, Delinquent OERs/NCOERs, Weight Control, APFT

Medical: LOD, Appointments, Medical Separation Boards 

Command Management: Family Care Plans, Sensing Sessions, Reprisal, Command Climate, Undue Command Influence, Preferential Treatment

Personal Conduct: Non-Support, Fraternization, TDY Fraud, GSA Vehicle Usage, Living in barracks

A violation of law, policy, procedures, or regulations: (including laws or regulations prohibiting sexual harassment, unlawful discrimination, reprisal, and improper mental health evaluations) 

An injustice or abuse of authority

Inappropriate conduct/misconduct

A deficiency or like condition

Any Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) and violations of law, Army instructions, or policy should be reported through the appropriate grievances channels. The subject of your complaint must be an Army program or person.

• Note: The fact that you may disagree with your Supervisor(s) over management styles or have what you believe is a "personality conflict", does not constitute an injustice or mismanagement. If you are not sure your concern is a reportable matter, contact your local IG office for guidance or advice.

 What types of complaints are NOT IG appropriate?
The following issues and allegations are ordinarily not appropriate for IG intervention:
- Criminal allegations
- Issues that have other means of redress (If the appropriate redress procedures were used, IGs will advise complainants that IG involvement focuses on ensuring that the complainant received due process and the protection of rights as intended by law and regulation)
- Courts-Martial actions
- Nonjudicial punishment
- Officer evaluations
- Non-Commissioned Officer evaluations
- Enlisted reductions
- Type of discharge received
- Pending or requested discharge
- Complaints that a commanding officer has wronged a soldier
- Financial liability investigations of property loss
- Relief for cause
- Adverse information filed in personnel records (except for allegations of reprisal)
- Claims
- The issue is not Army related
- Equal Opportunity (EO) complaints
- Civilian allegations of reprisals
- Department of Defense Civilian employee redress through other channels
- Hazardous work conditions
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Collective bargaining agreements
- Appeals of adverse actions within the purview of 5 USC 7701-7703

 Can I become an Inspector General if I am in a Troop Program Unit (TPU) status?
Yes, a TPU Soldier can become an IG. Please see checklist below:
• A nomination memo signed by the Soldier's Command IG or Commanding General.
• DA Photo (IAW AR 640-30). Awards shown on DA Photo must be listed in DA Form 2-1.
• Biographical Summary (Some call it the Military Resume).
• DA Form 2-1 (certified).
• DA Form 2A/2B (Certified).
• DA Form 705 - APFT Card and DA Form 5500/5501 - Body Fat Worksheet (if applicable).
• DA Form 3349- Physical Profile (Permanent/Temporary, if applicable).
• Physical Status memo signed by Company Commander or Unit Administrator.
• OER/NCOERs for the last 5 years, plus evaluations showing Command/1SG time. For any gaps, attach a memo or email explaining the reason for the gap.

Extension Requests Packets
Click here  to download IG Complaint Form

 If you experience an error downloading, right click, save link as, save, and open with Adobe Acrobat.


• The Inspector General (IG) is an extension of the eyes, ears, voice, and conscience of the Commander.
• The IG supports the Chain of Command by increasing visibility of issues so the Commander can take appropriate action.
• The IG serves as an impartial fact-finder and problem solver - be an "honest broker".
• IG’s job is to be familiar with issues in the command and advise all Commanders of their existence for quick resolution.


• Be honest.
• Don't provide misleading information.
• Remember your IGs can only resolve a case on the basis of fact.
• Don't expect instant action on your request ... be patient.
• Understand that the outcome of your case might not be what you expected (the IG will always explain why).