• Open to all MOSs
  • Special Duty Assignment Pay
  • Up to $12,000 Bonus for those who qualify
  • Promotion opportunities
  • Diverse assignment options
  • Full-time pay and benefits while serving on active duty
  • Low-cost TRICARE Reserve Select for you and your family
  • Access to Army Reserve Retirement programs
  • Education and Tuition Assistance
  • Training and unit locations across the country and abroad
  • Commitment is as little as 41 days each year
  • Opportunity for additional duty periods and full-time Drill Sergeant positions


  • Pay Grade E-4 through E-7
  • Meet physical fitness standards and pass all events of the ACFT
  • Meet Army height and weight standards
  • Maximum PULHES of 211321 
  • Minimum GT score of 85
  • Minimum three-years of military service completed
  • Must have a minimum of a favorable background investigation (NACLC/T3)
  • Ability to pass an extensive Position of Significant Trust and Authority background screening
  • High school diploma or GED
  • Display professional military bearing and good conduct
  • Good communication skills


Drill Sergeant candidates attend the Army Drill Sergeant School at Fort Jackson, S.C. This course must be completed in one continuous phase of 65 days.


Army Reserve Soldiers, Active Duty Soldiers preparing to separate from Active Duty, and National Guard Soldiers willing to transfer to the Army Reserve should contact the 108th Training Command’s (IET) Command Career Counselor to learn more about how to become an Army Reserve Drill Sergeant. Email or call (704) 386-0502 / (704) 780-5760 to contact the 108th Training Command’s Command Career Counselor.

Active Duty Soldiers that would like to volunteer for Active Duty Drill Sergeant opportunities should contact their HRC Branch/Talent managers. The HRC Active Duty Drill Sergeant Team receives Drill Sergeant nominations from Branch Managers on a quarterly basis. Additional Active Duty Drill Sergeant information can be found at: The HRC Active Duty Drill Sergeant Team can be contacted at: (502) 613-5870 or