TRICARE Reserve Select is:
• A premium-based plan
• Available worldwide
• For qualified Retired Reserve members and their families
If purchased, TRICARE Reserve Select meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverage.
The Affordable Care Act requires you to maintain basic health care coverage—called minimum essential coverage.
If purchased, TRICARE Retired Reserve meets or exceeds the requirements for minimum essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
TRICARE Reserve Select is a great option for you and your family if you are:
• a member of the Selected Reserves
• not on active duty orders for more than 30 days or covered by the Transitional Assistance Management Program, and
• not eligible for or enrolled in the FEHB.
The plan provides comprehensive health care coverage when you're not activated and covered by active duty TRICARE benefits and because you can see any provider, you don't have to change providers if you already have one.
• Your Reserve Component Health Coverage Request Form must be postmarked or received no later than the last day of the month before coverage is to begin.
• Coverage begins the date the TRS request is made online or over the phone, or post-marked if mailed to your regional contractor.
Application deadlines and effective dates of coverage will vary if you have changes in family composition such as marriage, birth/adoption or a sponsor's death.
• Log in to the DMDC Beneficiary Web Enrollment or by calling your regional contractor
• Follow the instructions to enroll
To log in, you must have one of the following:
• Common Access Card
• DFAS (Mypay) Account
• DoD Self-Service Logon (DS Logon) Premium (Level 2) account.
You need to schedule an appointment with any TRICARE authorized provider, network or non-network.
Find a Doctor:
When you deactivate, you may purchase TRICARE Reserve Select again with no break in coverage as long as you re-qualify.
• Submit your completed Reserve Component Health Coverage Request Form (DD Form 2896-1) with a premium payment postmarked no later than 90 days after the loss of the TRICARE coverage.
• TRICARE Reserve Select begins on the day after the loss of other TRICARE coverage.
• If you qualify for the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) when you deactivate, you may purchase TRS coverage to begin the day after your activation ends if you submit your enrollment request within 90 days from your TAMP ending.
Loss of Eligibility
Your coverage automatically ends if you leave the Selected Reserve or lose eligibility for any other reason.
You may purchase TRICARE Reserve Select again if you re-qualify.
• Upon loss of TRS coverage you may qualify to purchase temporary coverage through the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP).
• You're not required to purchase the CHCBP. Instead you may use employer-sponsored health insurance, Medicaid or any other plan offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
For more information regarding TRICARE Reserve Select, click HERE (External Site)