Personal Finance Counselor prohibited services.
While PFCs provide valuable services through a wide range of financial readiness capabilities, there are several services that are prohibited.
Personal Finance Counselors cannot:
- Act as an agent for a military aid society in providing emergency financial assistance.
- Provide financial investment advice in specific investment funds/opportunities.
- Make financial or financially related decisions on behalf of a client to include, but not limited to, TSP asset allocations, designation of beneficiaries for assets, etc.
- Perform inherently governmental functions such as certification training and responding to media queries on behalf of the government.
Personal Financial Counselors (PFCs) employ different modalities to address the needs of service members and their families including face-to-face counseling. PFCs can provide confidential counseling, as well as counseling to meet legislative or policy-driven requirements.
Limits of confidentiality/informed consent.
All PFCs are required to inform their clients as to the limits of confidentiality (LOC) they, as non-medical, non-clinical counselors, have with their clients in accordance with DODI 6490.06, “Counseling Services for DOD Military, Guard and Reserve, Certain Affiliated Personnel, and Their Family Members.” PFCs may also provide counseling sessions required at certain milestones under The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for FY 2016, DOD regulations and service-specific requirements. These milestones trainings or counseling sessions may include, but are not limited to:
- Initial entry training
- Arrival at first duty station
- Arrival at subsequent duty stations (E4 and below, O3 and below)
- Date of promotion (E5 and below, O4 and below)
- Entitled to continuation pay
- At each major life event Marriage
- First child
- Disabling sickness or condition
- During leadership training
- Pre-deployment and post-deployment training
Accessing Personal Financial Counselors (PFC) Services
How do I contact or request a PFC?
Please visit: https://finred.usalearning.gov/pfcMap