Army Family Action Plan



Army Family Action Plan Logo

The Army Family Action Plan (AFAP) is the Army’s process to identify and elevate the most significant quality of life issues impacting Active and Reserve Component Soldiers, Retirees, Department of Army Civilians and Families to senior leaders for action. This process provides Army leadership with information on their community’s satisfactions and challenges.  Army leadership ensures issues are prioritized for their attention and reviewed and worked to resolution. Results are communicated back to submitters. Since its conception, issues submitted through the Army AFAP process have resulted in policy and regulatory changes, legislative changes and improvements to programs and services.

Issue submission, and command review and resolution, begins at the lowest level.  Approximately 90 percent of issues are resolved at the local commander level; remaining 10 percent are elevated outside of local command for senior Army level resolution.

The Process

AFAP provides the Total Army Voice in shaping their standards of living and identifying issues related to the current environment. Leaders trust and support the AFAP Process it provides real-time information that enables commanders to respond more rapidly to resolve problems, implement good ideas and guides policy formation.

Proven Results

  • Transferability of Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) benefits to dependents.
  • Family Care provider access to installations.
  • Paternity leave for soldiers.
  • Creation of Family Readiness Groups, Better Opportunity for Single Soldiers (BOSS) and Army Family Team Building (AFTB) program.
  • Availability of Authorized Tricare Providers.
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) rehabilitation program.
  • In-State college Tuition.
  • Audio/Visual Surveillance in childcare centers.
  • Federal Employment Military Spouse Preference.

Download AFAP Brochure

Collapse All Expand All
 How do I submit issues?


Submit an issue or suggestion at your local ACS office or through the ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Issue Management System (IMS). The Army Family Action Plan (AFAP) Issue Management System (IMS) allows registered and unregistered users to submit online issues regarding their communities or other aspects of Army life. Issues are reviewed and managed by AFAP staff, and IMS can be used to track the status of your issue and view others that are currently under review.



 What type of issues can I submit?


Categories may include but are not limited to:

Soldier Support, Family Support, Retiree and Survivor Support, Medical and Dental, Training and Education, and Employment.



 What happens to my issue after submission?


1.  Local command researches to determine if currently active, pending resolution or resolvable at that level.  Action taken by Command is communicated to the issue submitter.


2.  Local Commanders endorses elevation of issues for resolution not in their purview for resolution at the next highest command level. 

Issues elevated outside of the Army Reserve to HQDA for AFAP consideration are endorsed by the Chief of Army Reserve.


3.  AFAP General Officer Steering Committee (GOSC), the Army’s senior leader review board, convenes semiannually to review the progress of issues accepted through the Army AFAP process.



 How do I get involved with the local AFAP process?


Submit an issue or suggestion at your local ACS office or through the ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Issue Management System (IMS)



 How do I get involved with the Army AFAP issue selection process?


You may volunteer to be part of a Virtual Soldier & Family Readiness Group at:


Contact Us:


Email Us!
List of Family Programs Directors and Coordinators
National Suicide Prevention Call or Text: 988
Support specialists are available at Military OneSource: 1-800-342-9647
Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support for the DoD Community Toll-Free: 1- 877-995-5247