Psychological Health Program
Depression is one of the most common behavioral health problems that affect military and family readiness. There are many resources available, including the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-8255.

You are not alone.

  • PHP is an Army Reserve specific program. PHP understands the stressors of the Army Reserve Soldiers"  responsibilities at civilian job, school, family, work and being a soldier. If you or your family are having behavioral health concerns, we are here to assist.  We may also be able to help you find resources for financing, housing, job, family, etc.
  • The Psychological Health Program run by USARC's Surgeon Directorate, has points of contacts in each Readiness Division ready to assist you, give them a call. Services are confidential.

How can you tell if you need help?

  • Sleep problems – too much, not enough, difficulty falling or staying asleep
  • Mood changes - Irritable or angry without knowing why
  • Withdrawing from family and friends
  • Drinking alcohol or using drugs to help with sleep, anxiety or to forget
  • Increase or decrease in eating habits
  • Lack of motivation

Who can you talk to?

  • Talking to one of our professionals
  • Friends
  • Family
  • Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • Peers
  • Counselors

How does it work?

  • If you are thinking about suicide call the crisis hotline now 1-800-273-8255 (press 1 for the service member line)
  • Call us – see map for what regional command your unit falls under and who your POC is
  • All calls and emails are confidential
  • PHP will assist you in finding resources to assist you

Click for Regional Map and Points of Contacts

Will the Army Reserve pay for it?

  • YES…If you have an approved line of duty
  • YES…If you are on specific orders that entitle you to care at a military treatment facility
  • MAYBE…If the injury occurred or aggravated while in military status as long as there is no other reason for the cause of injury i.e. alcohol or drugs related
  • NO…If the injury occurred not on military status 


How will care be paid for if the Army Reserve does not pay for it?

  • VA - Eligibility varies from soldier to soldier
  • Your Insurance
  • No insurance – you may qualify for free services through local, state, federal, or private organizations


Am I eligible for a soldier recovery unit?

  • Eligibility is a case by case review
  • Requires an approved line of duty, unless recommended and approved at a demobilization site
  • See DoD Resources on home page


What if I have been referred for a Command Directed Behavioral Health Evaluation (CDBHE)?

  • Commanders and supervisors have the authority to order a CDBHE if they believe there is a mental health concern. You must comply
  • Your command will set up the appointment at the closest military treatment facility
  • Your command may or may not send an escort with you
  • Your appointment is confidential but your commander has the right to certain information
  • Diagnosis
  • Treatment recommendations
  • Fitness for duty