Army Reserve Careers Group
Army Reserve Careers Group Frequently Asked Questions
Collapse All Expand All
 Officer Accession Bonus (OAB)

After completion of BOLC or WOBC, you must submit the documents listed on the OAB Checklist through your unit, to the pay team to initiate payment. The OAB packets should be sent to the USAR Pay Center at

The OAB Written Agreement must be completed at the time of your application. To obtain a copy of your OAB Written Agreement, you can look in iPerms. If it is not in iPerms you can reach out to your Officer Accession NCO, who can provide a copy of the written agreement and DA 61.

More incentive information can be found at https://xtranet/usarc/g1/MANDiv/BIB/Pages/Selected-Reserve-Incentive-Program.aspx

 Who is the primary point of contact for my Officer Accessions application?
Your Officer Accessions Careers Counselor (OACC) will assist you in preparation of your packet. Call or send an e-mail to your OACC and he/she will contact you with all the information you will need. Click here for the e-mail and telephone numbers for the OACC is under the Contacts section of this web site. Use the checklist to guide you through this process.
 What is the standard on letter of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation are a very important part of the application. At a minimum, your packet should contain company and battalion commander letters of recommendations. Additionally, the company and battalion commander recommendations must be from your current chain of command unless you have less than 90 days with your current chain of command. The letters should be specific and quantifiable. If you have received NCOER’s you may want to use some of the strong bullets as a starting point in drafting the memorandums. Do not use a form letter that uses generic or flowery sentences. The letters should emphasize your technical skills and leadership abilities.
 Can I apply for more than one branch?
In block 6 of the DA Form 61 you can list up to three options, BUT YOU MUST MEET THE CRITERIA for all listed. List the branch in order of preference, because the packet is boarded with your first preference and if you are selected the packet is not boarded again. If not selected, your packet is boarded a second time for your second choice.
 How do I know if I need a moral waiver?
If you check YES in block 26 of the DA Form 61, indicating you have been arrested, charged, cited, held, or detained for any reason at any time, then a waiver is required. You must list all juvenile offenses, Article 15s, courts-martial or traffic fines of more than $250. Example: You were cited for vandalism while in high school but the charge was dismissed, you still require a waiver because you were cited for this offense.
 What is the standard for the security clearance?
Contact your OACC or unit security manager. The security manager must sign the memorandum, which will indicate the type of clearance, type of investigation, the date the clearance was granted or to whom the periodic reinvestigation was submitted. The memorandum MUST be signed by the OACC or unit security manager.  The OACC will also assist you if your having any problem.
 What is the standard for the DA Form 2-1?
It is your responsibility to ensure this form is up-to-date and accurate. Only personnel who are authorized to update this form may make typed or pen and ink changes. Ensure the awards on the DA Form 2-1 agree with your DA photo. If you recently tested to raise your GT score, ensure the new score is posted. Your civilian education entry must agree with your transcripts. Also ensure item 35 correctly shows your assignment history.
 What is the standard for the official DA Photo?
The photo is a very important part of your packet. This is the first item of your application the board sees and it helps to form the first impression. Wear only permanent decorations. Have someone look you over before taking the photo and, if possible, ask someone to go with you to ensure your uniform is correct in every way. A long sleeve shirt and four-in-hand tie is recommended for males. Civilians must wear dress clothes.
 What is the standard for the physical exam?
It must be in accordance with Chapter 2, AR 40-501. Physicals taken for appointment in non-aviation branch must state for Officer Appointment. Physical examination must include a HIV and Drug and Alcohol test results. Your Retention NCO will help you get an appointment to get a proper physical. Civilian personnel do not have to have a physical in their application to be considered for appointment. But they should have a statement in their packet stating that they understand that they must take a Chapter 2, commissioning physical, if they are recommended for appointment by the DA Special Review Board. Physical can not be more then 2 years old.
 What is the standard for the Army physical fitness test (APFT)?
You or your OACC  must contact someone in your unit to administer the APFT. This APFT will follow the regulation very strictly, so we caution you to get in shape.  Without exception, candidates are expected to meet the Army standard APFT, if you cannot pass the APFT, you will be sent home from your Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC).  Civilian candidates, are not require to take an APFT for direct appointment application, however during their schooling they will have to pass the APFT.
 What if I have not completed my degree?
If the applicant does not have a baccalaureate degree, he or she must possess a SAT minimum score of 850 or ACT score of 19 and the SAT and ACT scores must not be older then 10 years on board date. However, you must complete your degree before you can be promoted to captain.
 Can I apply if I am mobilized?
If you are a Soldier that is within the 6 months of REFRAD or Demobilization, yes you can apply for the ODC program.
 Can I apply if I belong to any other Armed Forces branch?
Yes you can. You must complete the conditional release DD Form 368 and be submitted with the ODC packet, if you are selected, then you must continue the transfer process for the U.S. Army Reserve.
 Can I apply if I am a civilian?

Yes you can.

 What happens if I am selected?
HRC Fort Knox will provide instructions and guidance for civilian applicant and Soldiers who are appointed and mobilized.
 What happen if I am not selected?
If you are not selected by the first board that considers your application, (non selected), you can reapply with a completely new application, one (1) year after the date in block 42 of the DA Form 61.