The most important requirement in this process is patience. Currently, the process can take up to 2.5 years to complete to when you would join your unit. There currently is no consistent schedule of board dates. Following the board, the scrolling process will take anywhere from 6 months to several years. Because this is a new process the most recent individuals selected for the program took 2 years from the date of their selection by the panel to be commissioned.
Again, you must remain patient, it is a long process. The speed of getting in uniform is dependent on a number of factors both in and out of the selectees control. Prepare for a long and at times frustrating process.
The first step is to create your packet for the 38G direct commissioning board. Your packet will consist of the following:
1. Direct Appointment Application. The form will be provided. The form request 3 references. The references can be the same parties as your letters of recommendation (see below) or separate individuals.
2. CV/Resume. No mandated required format, but it must include the specific months worked (ie March 2012 – September 2015, rather than 2012-2015). Professional experience is a key aspect of Direct Commission candidacy, so you are encouraged to include all relevant details;
3. Narrative essay (750 words): This should be a statement that can be read and digested rapidly by members of the board, an overall statement of purpose highlighting what the candidate thinks are your strongest “selling points” for Direct Commission and what your fundamental motivation is. Please sign.
4. 3 Letters of Recommendation. The letters should be addressed to the "the members of the 38G Direct Commissioning Board" and should speak to your eligibility to be an officer in the US Army and your competence relating to the 38G skill identifier you are seeking. The letters of recommendation are to be accepted by you and included in your packet. The references do not have to send their recommendations to a designated email or address. Have the recommendations signed.
5. Scans of transcripts and diplomas. We do not need official sealed paper copies of transcripts sent to us via postal mail. Applicants should scan and send transcripts for all colleges and universities attended.
Transcripts must include the following:
a. all courses attended and grades received
b. proof of degree conferral
c. date of degree conferral
d. grading policy and scale
6. DD214 (Only applicable to prior service members) Please redact your SS# on your DD214 to ensure your personal identifiable information is not compromised over unclassified email systems.
Put your files into a single pdf file in the order detailed in the checklist provided. Send the packet to Military Government Specialist AOC Manager at the Special Operations Center of Excellence firstname.lastname@example.org.