The 95th Division was first constituted September 5, 1918, in the National Army as Headquarters, 95th Division for potential wartime service. The “OK” (Oklahoma-Kansas) Division was only partially organized during October-November at Camp Sherman, Ohio, before Armistice Day on November 11 put a halt to further organizing efforts. It demobilized on December 22, 1918.
The Division was later reconstituted on June 24, 1921, as part of the Organized Reserve at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The Division was ordered to active duty on July 15, 1942, at Camp Swift, Texas for service in World War II. On August 1, 1942, it was redesignated as the 95th Infantry Division. During this period, the distinctive 9-V insignia was adopted and approved. Partly as a result of its new shoulder patch, the 95th also became known as the “Victory Division.”
It is in World War II that German defenders gave the Division the nickname, “Iron Men of Metz,” after units of the 95th crossed the Moselle and fought a fierce battle and captured the city of Metz. Metz had been a strong fortress since 451 A.D. and the Division’s capture of it was the only instance in history that the fortress had ever been overcome by a military assault. War correspondents called the Soldiers of the 95th “The Bravest of the Brave.”
The Division had left behind a history of heroism and bravery and accolades of friend and enemy, "Iron Men of Metz," "The Bravest of the Brave." But it had also left behind 6,591 officially recorded casualties.
Following distinguished service in Northern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and in Central Europe, the Division was inactivated October 12, 1945, at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
The Division was reconstituted on May 13, 1947, as part of the Organized Reserve (changed to U.S. Army Reserve in 1952) in Oklahoma City, Okla., and was redesignated as a Training Division on April 1, 1959.
The Division continued its mission as a training division though much reorganization with missions that included teaching basic combat training, advanced and common specialty training and one station unit training.
Since 2005, the Division has continued its training mission by deploying nine detachments to Afghanistan to train the Afghan National Army. In addition to these training missions, the Division also provided individual Soldiers for cross-leveling to other units. Since the start of the Global War on Terrorism, the Division has mobilized or deployed over 2,000 Soldiers to serve in Iraq, Afghanistan and state side.
The Army Reserve again transformed in 2009 in order to streamline the Army Reserve command, control and support structure, and modernize Army Reserve facilities. This reshaped the force into a campaign quality Army Reserve with joint and expeditionary capabilities, while sustaining operational support to combatant commanders in the Global War on Terrorism and minimizing stress on Army Reserve Soldiers and their families.
The 95th played a pivotal role in this transformation by once again reorganizing to become an Initial Entry Training division with four IET brigades that train Soldiers in basic combat skills. The name was changed to the 95th Training Division (Initial Entry Training) and the Division officially joined the ranks of the 108th Training Command (IET) headquartered in Charlotte, N.C. on Oct. 1, 2009.
Its control literally spans from coast to coast and Hawaii with units in 38 states and it is responsible for training thousands of Soldiers, both Active and Reserve Component, to successfully fulfill their roles in the Global War on Terrorism.