Become a Soldier/Join the Army

Where can I get information about enlisting in the Army?
Can non-US citizens join the Army?
Enlistment into any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess a Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 - commonly known as a "Green Card").
Applicants must be between 17 and 35
Meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment
And must speak, read and write English fluently.
The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.
The U.S. Government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services within the Department of Homeland Security.
Check out the Military section at:
How can I learn more about attending the U.S. Military Academy at West Point?
Contact the U.S. Military Academy at West Point directly at
Or visit their website:

Military Records

Where can I get copies of my personnel records?
How can I access my DD 214 on-line?
Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents from the National Military Personnel Records Center (NPRC) at the Nationa l Archives Center. Veterans and next of kin may access this application at
Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing time. Also, because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized.
Former/retired Army Civilian employees:
Contact the National Personnel Records Center at:
Civilian Records Facility
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118-4199
At minimum, please include the service member's complete name, Social Security number and/or serial number, and the requester's return address. Website is: 
How do I correct errors in my military records?
In order to get your military service records upgraded/changes, you must contact the Army service Board for Correction of Military Records. Contact information for board is below:
Army Board of Correction
Crystal Mall 4, Room 220
Arlington, VA 22202-4508
Phone: 703-607-1611

Replacement Medals

How do I replace mymedals that were lost?
In order to obtain a replacement medal you will have to contact the following institution at:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Phone (314) 801-0800

You may be charged for the replacement of the medals.

What is the status of the Cold War Medal? Will it be issued?
The Department of Defense (DoD) recently completed a comprehensive review for both military and civilian awards policy. As part of the review, DoD examined award recognition for military service during the Cold War. Based on the recommendations of the Services, the Defense Department does not at this time support the creation of a Service Medal specifically to recognize Cold War military service. Commanders have always had a variety of awards to recognize the service and sacrifice of service members, including those who served during the Cold War. The Army continues the issuance of the Cold War Certificate, which appropriately recognizes military and civilian federal service during the Cold War. To find information on the Cold War Recognition Certificate please visit the following web page:

Am I Being Scammed

This article may help clarify some of the tricks social media scammers try to use to take advantage of people:


·       Soldiers and their loved ones are not charged money so that the Soldier can go on leave.

·       Soldiers are not charged money for secure communications or leave.

·       Soldiers do not need permission to get married.  

·       Soldiers do not have to pay for early retirement.   

·       Soldiers have medical insurance, which pays for their medical costs when treated at civilian health care facilities worldwide – family and friends do not need to pay their medical expenses.   

·       Military aircraft are not used to transport Privately Owned Vehicles.   

·       Army financial offices are not used to help Soldiers buy or sell items of any kind.  

·       Soldiers deployed to Combat Zones do not need to solicit money from the public to feed or house their troops.   

·       Deployed Soldiers do not find large unclaimed sums of money and need your help to get that money out of the country.

Anyone who tells you one of the above-listed conditions/circumstances is true is likely posing as a Soldier and trying to steal money from you.


We would urge you to immediately cease all contact with this individual.


For more information on avoiding online scams and to report this crime, please see the following sites:



Overseas Birth Certificates

I was born overseas at a military installation. How do I obtain my birth certificate?​


I have a site on the Internet, and was wondering if I could post some of your pictures on my site?

Images, pictures, and other media depicting Army personnel carrying out their official duties may be used by non-Federal entities in communication venues which are solely informational in nature, such as newspapers, newsmagazines, or other media that focus on reporting social or industry news, and are not directly or indirectly associated with a marketing, advertising, or a self-promoting activity (including company annual reports).


Photographs and imagery on the Army's website at, unless otherwise noted, are in the public domain. Attribution of the source is always appreciated by the military photographer.


Army imagery is provided without talent releases on any individual portrayed. Imagery is provided with the understanding that the Army has no authority to waive the privacy rights of any individual depicted in government media. And no exclusive rights to official records may be claimed by any organization or individual.


Commercial Use of Imagery

The use of DoD Personnel and Materiel in Advertising, Marketing or Promotional Material must be approved by the Department of Defense and meet the following guidelines:


Endorsement of a non-Federal entity, event, product, service or enterprise may be neither stated nor implied by DoD or DoD employees in their official capacities, including through use of their images. Additionally, titles, positions or organization names may not be used to suggest official endorsement or preferential treatment of any non-Federal entity, except in limited circumstances outlined in DoD Directive 5500.7-R. In all cases, Military Service-specific insignia must be removed from advertising, marketing or promotional material.


The use of Department of Defense still and/or motion imagery that includes people who can be personally identified in the image is not authorized, unless the requestor contacts the person(s) and obtains written permission for the use of their identifiable image.


DoD materiel such as aircraft, missiles, ships, and other hardware cannot be used in any company marketing or advertising campaign, if they incorporate distinctive U.S. military markings and/or other features that would connote DoD endorsement of the campaign. If still and/or motion imagery is to be used for commercial advertisement, the proposed ad layout with its accompanying copy must be approved by the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs.


For approval, e-mail or FAX your request to OASD (PA)/CR & PL:​ or 703-697-2577.



Where can I find information on Arlington National Cemetery?

How do I find the location of national VA cemeteries across the country?

Additional Frequently Asked Questions


Can I find an online resource that shows current and historical active dutymilitary pay tables?

The information you seek is available online at the Defense Finance and Accounting Service's website at




I have some questions regarding TRICARE. Where can I go online for answers?

The following link will provide for you information about contacting your regional TRICARE office by phone or by e-mail:



Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

How do I use the Freedom of Information Act?

Freedom of Information Act instructions are at



Educational Benefits

What educational benefits are available for Soldiers or Veterans?

Or call Education (GI Bill): 1-888-442-4551



Verification of Military Service

I need to verify if someone is a member of the military. What Department shouldI contact?



Medical Benefits

Where can I learn more about the Army’s medical benefits?

I am a Reserve Soldier on active duty about to transition back to Reserve status. What kinds of health care are provided for me and my family?

The TRICARE has several programs one of which you may be eligible.

Continued Health Care Benefit Program

Tricare Reserve Select (TRS)

Reserve Component Members Health Care

Tricare Frequently Asked Questions



Army Equipment

What equipment does the Army use?

ArmyFact Files

BrigadeCombat Team Modernization


Acquisition,Logistics and Technology




Where can I find information on the web about military memorials?

There are various war memorials to commemorate and celebrate the services of American veterans. These memorials are maintained by the National Park Service (NPS) and can usually be visited year round. The NPS website located at has information about NPS veterans' memorials. You can also speak with an NPS representative by contacting one of the National Park Service Regional Offices.



Acronyms and Terms

Do you have a listing of frequently used DoD acronyms?




How do I find out more information about an Army post?

For information about Army garrisons go to:



Army Surplus

How can I get information on surplus auctions?

Contact the Defense Disposition Services at 1-877-352-2255.

Where can I get old Army stuff?

Equipment that is old, has been replaced or is no longer needed is turned in to the Defense Disposition Services. There are numerous facilities located around the country. To find out more about how to get equipment from these sites you can visit their web site at or check with a local military installation that has a Disposition office. Equipment is"demilitarized", if required, to ensure that it is safe prior to sale.



Fraud Waste and Abuse

How do I report fraud, waste, or abuse at the Defense Department?

You may do so by contacting the Defense Department Inspector General's Hotlinefor Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. The telephone number there is: 800-424-9098. You may also send an e-mail to officials there at:



Locator Service

How can I find the address of a specific present or former member of the U.S.Armed Forces?

Requests for military addresses should be sent to the respective service of the individual whose address is being sought. Military regulations and the Privacy Act of 1974 do not permit the military departments to provide email addresses, home addresses or telephone numbers of service personnel. Moreover, regulations do not permit random dissemination of listings of names and addresses of service personnel. These regulations have been established to protect individual service men and women from commercial exploitation and to respect their right of privacy.

Because of the large volume of requests that each service locator receives, please allow four weeks processing time for written requests. The following information is needed for all requests for locator services: Give as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate such as full name, rank, last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

The locator service is free to immediate family members and government officials. Other family members, civilian friends, businesses and others must pay $3.50. The check or money order must be made out to the U.S. Treasury. It is not refundable.


The Army will help you locate individualson active duty only, not retirees.

The Army World Wide Locator address is:

Commander U.S. Army Enlisted Records & Evaluation Center
ATTN: Locator
8899 East 56th Street
Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN 46249-5301​

Find a Unit

If you have something to say about the content of this Web site or other Army Reserve Issues, click below to leave a comment.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Army Reserve of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Army Reserve does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with the mission of this Web site.